Follow us on: Facebook Twitter YouTube

Nationwide News: With farm insurance, keep outbuildings in mind

Issue Date: September 23, 2020

The following information is provided by Nationwide, the No. 1 farm and ranch insurer in the U.S.*

An important part of your farm or ranch policy is the protection it offers for damage to farm or ranch buildings and structures. These buildings must be listed on your policy to be covered.

In addition to barns, stables, pens, confinement buildings and sheds, other outbuildings include cold storage structures, rice dryers, nut hullers, packinghouses, prune dehydrators and potato storage sheds, for example.

Coverage for farm buildings includes:

  • Water pumps, motors and other outdoor equipment used for the operation of the building.
  • Furniture, fixtures, machinery and equipment—pertaining to the use of the building—located in, on or within 100 feet of the building.

Also, talk to your agent about:

  • Insuring your farm buildings for replacement cost or actual cash value.
  • The Causes of Loss (Broad, Basic or Special) for which you want to insure.
  • How much deductible to carry. A higher deductible may lower your premium, but you would have to pay more in the event of a loss.
  • The current values of your farm buildings.

Under certain conditions, AgriChoice® may also provide coverage for collapse of farm buildings.

Extended coverage for new farm buildings

If you add a new barn, shelter or other confinement building, AgriChoice extends your coverage of up to $100,000 for 60 days, beginning when the building materials are delivered, or until your next renewal date. When your policy is about to renew, discuss the values of any new structures with your agent, to be sure you're properly insured.

Don't forget the fixtures

The AgriChoice policy provides coverage for equipment breakdown and mechanical failure of fixtures or systems built into farm buildings. Be sure your agent is aware of the values of all fixtures, systems and equipment associated with your barns or other structures.

Nationwide has been protecting agriculture for more than 100 years, including commercial agribusinesses. For more information, contact your local Nationwide agent or visit

Products underwritten by Nationwide Agribusiness Insurance Company, Farmland Mutual Insurance Company, Allied Property and Casualty Insurance Company and AMCO Insurance Company. Products and discounts are not available to all persons in all states. Nationwide, the Nationwide N and Eagle and Nationwide is on your side are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2019 Nationwide.

* SNL Financial, 2018 (National) Market Share Report.

Permission for use is granted, however, credit must be made to the California Farm Bureau Federation when reprinting this item.

Special Reports



Special Issues

Special Sections